1. Zellars, Inc. is considering two mutually exclusive projects, A and B. Project A costs $95,000 and is expected to generate $65,000 in year one and $75,000 in year two. Project B costs $120,000 and is expected to generate $64,000 in year one, $67,000 in year two, $56,000 in year three, and $45,000 in year four. Zellars, Inc.’s required rate of return for these projects is 10%. The net present value for Project B is (Points : 1)
2. Higgins Office Corp. plans to maintain its optimal capital structure of 40 percent debt, 10 percent preferred stock, and 50 percent common equity indefinitely. The required return on each component source of capital is as follows: debt–8 percent; preferred stock–12 percent; common equity–16 percent. Assuming a 40 percent marginal tax rate, what after-tax rate of return must Higgins Office Corp. earn on its investments if the value of the firm is to remain unchanged? (Points : 1)
3. Project XYZ requires an investment in equipment of $600,000 to replace existing equipment. The existing equipment will produce after-tax salvage value of $70,000. Net working capital requirements are increased by $50,000. What is the total cash outflow at time zero? (Points : 1)
4. A project for Jevon and Aaron, Inc. results in additional accounts receivable of $400,000, additional inventory of $180,000, and additional accounts payable of $70,000. What is the additional investment in net working capital? (Points : 1)
5. Jones Distributing Corp. can sell common stock for $27 per share and its investors require a 17% return. However, the administrative or flotation costs associated with selling the stock amount to $2.70 per share. What is the cost of capital for Jones Distributing if the corporation raises money by selling common stock? (Points : 1)
6. Zinc, Inc. is considering the acquisition of a new processing line. The processor can be purchased for $4,550,000. It will cost $65,000 to ship and $190,500 to install the processor. A recently completed feasibility study that was performed at a cost of $45,000 indicated that the processor would produce a positive NPV. Studies have shown that employee-training expenses will be $150,000. What is the total investment in the processing line for capital budgeting purposes? (Points : 1)
7. Zellars, Inc. is considering two mutually exclusive projects, A and B. Project A costs $95,000 and is expected to generate $65,000 in year one and $75,000 in year two. Project B costs $120,000 and is expected to generate $64,000 in year one, $67,000 in year two, $56,000 in year three, and $45,000 in year four. Zellars, Inc.’s required rate of return for these projects is 10%. The net present value for Project A is (Points : 1)
8. Jones Company has a target capital structure of 30% debt, 15% preferred stock, and 55% common equity. The company’s after-tax cost of debt is 7%, its cost of preferred stock is 11%, its cost of retained earnings is 15%, and its cost of new common stock is 16%. The company stock has a beta of 1.5 and the company’s marginal tax rate is 35%. What is the company’s weighted average cost of capital if retained earnings are used to fund the common equity portion? (Points : 1)
9. Asian Trading Company paid a dividend yesterday of $5 per share (D0 = $4). The dividend is expected to grow at a constant rate of 8% per year. The price of Asian Trading Company’s stock today is $29 per share. If Asian Trading Company decides to issue new common stock, flotation costs will equal $2.50 per share. Asian Trading Company’s marginal tax rate is 35%. Based on the above information, the cost of new common stock is (Points : 1)
10. J.B. Enterprises purchased a new molding machine for $85,000. The company paid $8,000 for shipping and another $7,000 to get the machine integrated with the company’s existing assets. J.B. must maintain a supply of special lubricating oil just in case the machine breaks down. The company purchased a supply of oil for $4,000. The machine is to be depreciated on a straight-line basis over its expected useful life of 8 years. J.B. is replacing an old machine that was purchased 6 years ago for $50,000. The old machine was being depreciated on a straight-line basis over a ten year expected useful life. The machine was sold for $15,000. J.B.’s marginal tax rate is 40%. What is the amount of the initial outlay?
Write a Review
Leave a reply Cancel reply
Ask Your Question
We have verified professionals who are ready to answer your question.
Save Time and Money
We choose experts who can quickly answer your question and that suit your budget.
Get Your Answer
Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. You can keep on asking questions until you get the answer you need.